Re: Need dial-up friendly install on USB stick

Rob Owens wrote:
On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 07:41:57AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
I'm currently a Windows user who's trying to escape.

I have an unusual batch of constraints:
1. It must reside *completely* on a USB stick and be able to
    read/write an existing NTFS hard drive.
2. It must be able to connect thru a USB modem, USROBOTICS USR5637.
    a. It will be used on a desktop ( *NO* high speed internet
       ever _available_ ) and on a laptop (WIFI equipped) which
       will often need dial-up.

I've experimented with "live editions" to determine hardware
functionality. As a permanent solution - DOA!

Using YUMI-0.0.2.5 I've tried:
   debian-live-6.0.1-i386-lxde-desktop.iso
   ubuntu-10.10-desktop-i386.iso
   lupu-525.iso
   multicore_3.7.1.iso
Using Unetbootin I tried:
   linuxmint-11-gnome-cd-nocodecs-32bit.iso

All but Multicore had lsusb available and recognized the USB modem.
Only Puppy had a dialer - it could connect but repeatedly dropped
carrier for unknown cause.
Mint and Multicore recognized the laptop had WIFI capability - a
protected WIFI system is nearby.

I've roamed the web for a couple of months (no longer sure Google is
really a friend ;) I was originally referred to Ubuntu but I've come
to think is fundamentally I need Debian style repository , much else
is negotiable.

Did you know that most live USB systems can use a mode called
"persistence" that allows you to install new software?

I heard _of_ "persistence" when I first attempted to use Ubuntu.
I'm not sure if that is quite what I'm aiming at. I encountered it when I discovered that changes to display preferences did not hold across sessions. I *THINK* I followed instructions to use "persistence". It was unsuccessful ;(

My goal is to sit down at keyboard and not be able to tell whether Linux resided on a USB stick or on the hard drive (cf the old AI goal of having computer indistinguishable from human.)

With Debian Live, you should be able to install a dialer (kppp is one
that comes to mind).

Chuckle - it's the "chicken and egg" problem.
My starting point is I have to take my Windows laptop to local library for high speed access. The nearest known LUG is >200 miles away (am in rural SW Missouri). Then I need either to identify an iso with active dialer OR have a way to download the dialer and dependencies using Windows.

Depending on your wifi card, you may need to
install special packages and/or enable the non-free repos.

Assumed. My tests have established that there is at least one driver minimally compatible with my hardware. If I can get either working, the other can be bootstrapped.

ntfs-3g is
the package that enables read/write to NTFS.

-Rob