Re: Transplanting old System to New Drive

 >>> What if the destination is larger which is the case, here?

 >> If the destination partition is larger than the source one, use
 >> resize2fs(8) after dd(1) on the destination partition — it'll make
 >> the additional space available to the filesystem.

 > I think you need to use fdisk or something similar to enlarge the
 > partition first.  Then resize the filesystem.

	I've stated above that it isn't necessary to use dd(1) on the
	whole disk image.

	Obviously, when copying partition-to-partition, the destination
	should already have a partition table, which, as I've deduced
	from the question, has larger partition(s) than the source.

	Regarding fdisk(8), I see little sense in using the old MBR
	partition table nowadays (unless for compatibility with certain
	BIOS'es, and then there's gptsync(8).)  And of free GPT
	manipulation tools I'm aware only of GNU Parted.

	(CHS addressing is quite nonsensical these days, anyway.)

--
FSF associate member #7257