Re: [Slightly OT] Releasing swap space?

On 14/08/11 15:27, Camaleón wrote:
On Sun, 14 Aug 2011 13:51:07 +0100, AG wrote:

Just a quick query about releasing swap space.  On occasion according to
Conky (system monitoring app), the swap space (set at 3Gb) sometimes
gets used to up to 15% especially if using something like Pan for
usenet.

Hi Camaleón

Good to hear from you.

What's your amount of physical ram?

My hard ram is 3 GB (2.84 to be exact) and I gave the same amount to swap when I initially partitioned the HDD.
Is there any value/ harm in releasing this space using something like:

swapoff -a&&  swapon -a [1]
(...)

No harm, but no need to do it neither, unless you have a specific
requirement. Swap usage is up to the kernel, just let it to manage as it
desires (remember the kernel's law: "unused memory is wasted memory").

I wasn't aware of that law.  Thanks for the info ;-)

My response to Ivan crossed yours, so if there's no value and I also run the risk of meddling with the kernel's affairs, it seems wise to leave well enough alone, unless I have a specific need to do so and the usage has accumulated.

Cheers

AG
Greetings,