Re: orphan link linux-kbuild-N.N.N in /usr/local/src

hello List:

On 13/08/11 08:13, Sven Joachim wrote:
On 2011-08-12 09:29 +0200, Jerome BENOIT wrote:

On 12/08/11 08:08, Sven Joachim wrote:
On 2011-08-11 21:10 +0200, Jerome BENOIT wrote:

On my Debian (Wheezy) boxes, the /usr/src is a link to /usr/local/src ,
/usr and /usr/local being mounted on different partitions.
I guess it is a common practice.

It might be common, but it is not a good practice since /usr/src is
distribution territory.  I.e. Debian packages will overwrite any local
files without warning.

My understand is the /usr/src is an exception: and /usr/src is meant to
to build kernel images.

This is true.
Nevertheless, install Debian some tarballs (kernel sources, modules sources, ...) in /usr/src :
for practical reasons, I prefer to build my own specific kernel in /usr/src in such a way I have
an eye on what is going on.
If I was working in an other folder, I would not noticed the presence of the link installed by kbuild.

You can build kernel images anywhere you like, there is no need or
advantage whatsoever to build them under /usr/src.

Second, my set up forced the distribution territory:
on my box: /usr is mounted read only, whereras /usr/local is not.

That does still not explain why you need /usr/src to be writable.

Sven

Jerome