Re: How do you change file associations in Thunar?

On 12/08/11 23:39, Jason Hsu wrote:
OS: antiX Linux M11 (based on MEPIS)
File managers: Thunar and ROX-Filer
Window manager: IceWM

I know that the file associations in the Rox-Filer file manager are in the ~/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/MIME-types directory.  These scripts control what application opens up when I click on a file in the Rox-Filer file manager.

Where are the file associations in the Thunar file manager, and how do I change them?  When I click on a file in the Thunar window manager, I still get AbiWord for *.doc and *.odt files and Gnumeric for *.xls files.

Please note that I'm aware of right-click ->  Open with Another Application.  I'm looking for the solution that involves command line or directly editing files, as I need to automate the procedure on behalf of Swift Linux users.

Jason

While I can't help with the command line solution you are seeking, I have found that by right clicking on the file you wish to open (e.g. a *.doc) and selecting "properties" from the context menu, you can then change the association in a way that is far more permanent than trying to fix it via the "open with" option.

But, as I admitted, this will not help you with the command line solution.

AG