Re: Best linux Distro 2011

On Sun, Aug 7, 2011 at 3:06 PM, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sun, Aug 7, 2011 at 9:45 AM, Anirudh Parui <anika20105@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Friends,
>
> The comparison between Linux Distros is a big matter of discussion.
> And when it comes to finding out what is the best everyone has his own
> point of view.
> Well i found this link which does a good comparison in all domains and
> want to share with you all.
> http://www.tuxradar.com/content/best-distro-2011
>
> And Well Debian wins over all the Distros :)

It also gets the origin of Linux as an operating system wrong. (The
core GNU application swuite, of the compiler, compilation tools, core
libraries, and core system utilities came first, not the kernel: the
kernel simply completed the suite and led to the newly published OS's
being called "Linux".) And it completely ignores the commercially
supported Linux distributions, such as RHEL, OEL, and the (recently
defunct) commercial SuSE. So while patting oneself on the back for the
popularity of your favorite distro, take it with a grain of salt.

Two other aspects it misses are measurements of time taken
to get a service-crippling bug report addressed, and time taken
to patch a zero day exploit.  These aspects are critical to know
when choosing an OS for production systems.

I agree they should have compared to commercial Linux varieties as well.
In addition, hardware compatibility for stuff you don't have in a desktop
system should be a consideration.  Who supports that recently released
SAS RAID card from Dell, or installing to an iSCSI device on the NAS?
Some info for people who are running data centre equipment, not just
hobby boxes.  Redhat could be the winner here, but I'd be curious to
see if Debian is catching up in this category.

In my recent experience with identical bugs in Redhat and Debian, and
comparing the security update to address the ssh exploit from fall 2010,
Debian beats Redhat in rapid response.

Another strange category, which could be useful for those of us forced
to use old hardware, is how well does the latest distro handle installation
on older stuff like IBM xSeries?  Many people might assume this is supported
but you'd be surprised.