Intel LAN controller problems

Hi,

I've bought a new machine with Intel DH67CF motherboard and am trying to install squeeze.
This has an Intel® 82579V Gigabit Ethernet Controller.

Using a netinstall cd I get the message that `No ethernet card was detected. ...'

Intel offers e1000e-1.4.4.tar.gz for this controller.

(I know that `e1000e' is actually listed as one of the options which Debian offers to load. Selecting
this just cycles back to the `No ethernet card was detected' message.)

So I got debian-6.0.2.1-i386-CD-1.iso and installed it without the network options.
I set out to follow the instructions in the driver README, but I find that debian (from first
cd) won't recognize files in a usb stick or a burnt cd. Both dirs show up in /media but the actual
file e1000e-1.4.4.tar.gz doesn't. (Or any other file.)

I can see a couple of sledgehammer `solutions': 1. buy an additional card which works, 2. install the
full squeeze from the eight dvds. But I'd like to sort this out simply if possible.

Can someone please point me in the right direction please?