Connect to eth0 or wlan0 (NetworkManager from the command line?) - Wheezy

Hey List!

I'm using Debian Testing (Wheezy) on my netbook, & accidentally uninstalled gnome-panel, gnome-session, GDM3, & something else i can't quite remember right now. I thought it would be an easy fix using aptitude but i have no network connections anymore, & can't get into my Desktop Environment (well, i can... but it's a cursor & a blank screen).

In my Desktop Environment (gnome), I have manually set NetworkManager so that neither eth0 or wlan0 connect automatically. It connects when i tell it to. So if i plug in an ethernet cable, it doesn't automatically connect. Same thing for wlan0... it can detect access points but will only connect when i select one (with both eth0 and wlan0, I have to click the NetworkManager icon on my system tray in order to connect).

Now, without a GUI... i'm useless (and i hate that!).

When i boot up, i see NetworkManager is working, & using nm-tool i can see a list of access points around me but i have no idea how to connect to any of them from the commandline. My wireless network is named Home, & uses DHCP and WPA/WPA2 encryption. I have tried using...

root@netbook:/# iwconfig wlan0 essid Home key=password

and -

root@netbook:/# iwconfig wlan0 essid Home s:key=password

and -

root@netbook:/# iwconfig wlan0 essid Home key=password (converted to hexadecimal)

...to no avail. Cat of /etc/network/interfaces is -

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
#NetworkManager#iface eth0 inet dhcp

If anyone could help me get connected using the wlan0 or eth0 interfaces i would really appreciate it. If this could be done using the command line, that would be ideal as i would love to know how it's done. I actually like it when things break as it helps me get to know the system i am using better.