Re: Setting up dhcp-server on my desktop machine SOLVED

Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> writes:

> Csanyi Pal wrote:
>> I must recover my server system through ssh connection so so I must
>> to setup dhcp-server on my desktop system first so it can provide for
>> the server an IP address.
>
> Your server is configured to use dhcp to acquire a network address?

Yes, of course.

>> On my desktop system there I have already installed the
>> network-manager package and now I have installed the isc-dhcp-server
>> package too on this system.
>>
>> I don't know how to setup my interfaces so I achieve my goal.
>
> Setting up a dhcp server is completely independent of setting up the
> /etc/network/interfaces file.  First you should set up your networking
> without doing anything about the dhcp server.  Then after networking
> is set up as you like it then set up the dhcp server to use the now
> existing networking.
>
>> I have sofar following setup on my desktop system:
>>
>>  * /etc/network/interfaces
>>
>> auto lo
>> iface lo inet loopback
>>
>> allow-hotplug eth1 # to my ISP
>
> Normally you would not mention eth1 at all if you want network-manager
> to manage it.
>
>> allow-hotplug eth0 # LAN to my server
>> iface eth0 inet static
>>     address 192.168.1.1
>>     netmask 255.255.255.0
>>     network 192.168.1.0
>>     broadcast 192.168.1.255
>>     gateway 192.168.1.1
>
> For your own sanity you probably want to add 'auto eth0' in addition
> to the 'allow-hotplug eth0' line.
>
> For eth0 you have netmask set which is good.  But you also have
> network and broadcast set and those are not necessary to set
> explicitly since setting netmask is sufficient.  Having all three
> appear in one of the examples as an example of something you could
> change if needed but it wasn't expected for them to always be set.
>
> But in error you have set a second gateway on your secondary interface
> and are gatewaying back to yourself.  You will get the default gateway
> from your ISP on eth1 when network-manager dhcp's an address and
> gateway.  That is the one you want.  Remove this second gateway
> statement from eth0.  That isn't what you want there.  That by itself
> might be the cause of whatever problems you experienced.
>
> Stop there for a moment and test the network and don't proceed to the
> dhcp server step until you think the networking is configured
> correctly.

OK so now I have changed to the following my /etc/network/interfaces
file:

 * /etc/network/interfaces

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# To my ISP
auto eth1
allow-hotplug eth1 # to my ISP
    iface eth1 inet dhcp

# to my LAN

allow-hotplug eth0
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
    address 192.168.1.1
    netmask 255.255.255.0

>>  * /etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf
>>
>> subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
>>     interface eth0;
>>     range 192.168.1.99 192.168.1.99;
>>     option routers 192.168.1.1;
>>     option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
>> }
>
> You are missing some of the standard configurations.  Some of this
> might not be needed but it is part of the standard template and what I
> have in my files.
>
> # The ddns-updates-style parameter controls whether or not the server
> # will
> # attempt to do a DNS update when a lease is confirmed. We default to
> # the
> # behavior of the version 2 packages ('none', since DHCP v2 didn't
> # have support for DDNS.)
> ddns-update-style none;
>
> # option definitions common to all supported networks...
> option domain-name "example.com";
> option domain-name-servers 192.168.1.1, 192.0.43.10;
>
> default-lease-time 600;
> max-lease-time 7200;
>
> # If this DHCP server is the official DHCP server for the local
> # network, the authoritative directive should be uncommented.
> authoritative;
>
> # Use this to send dhcp log messages to a different log file (you also
> # have to hack syslog.conf to complete the redirection).
> log-facility local7;
>
> subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
>     interface eth0;
>     range 192.168.1.99 192.168.1.99;
>     default-lease-time 86400;
>     max-lease-time 86400;
>     option routers 192.168.1.1;
>     option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
>     option broadcast-address 192.168.1.255;
> }

 * /etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf

ddns-update-style none;
option domain-name "example.org";
option domain-name-servers 192.168.1.1, 91.102.231.242, 91.102.231.241;
default-lease-time 600;
max-lease-time 7200;
authoritative;
log-facility local7;

subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
    interface eth0;
    range 192.168.1.99 192.168.1.99;
    default-lease-time 86400;
    max-lease-time 86400;
    option routers 192.168.1.1;
    option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
    option broadcast-address 192.168.1.255;
}

>>  * /etc/default/isc-dhcp-server
>>
>> INTERFACES="eth0"
>
> Okay.
>
>> So when I try to start dhcp-server I get an error message:
>> sudo /etc/init.d/isc-dhcp-server start
>> Starting ISC DHCP server: dhcpdcheck syslog for
>> diagnostics. ... failed!
>> failed!
>
> What did /var/log/syslog say?
>
>   # grep dhcpd /var/log/syslog

No it is OK:
Aug  7 11:31:02 debian-asztal dhcpd: Internet Systems Consortium DHCP
Server 4.1.1-P1
Aug  7 11:31:02 debian-asztal dhcpd: Copyright 2004-2010 Internet
Systems Consortium.
Aug  7 11:31:02 debian-asztal dhcpd: All rights reserved.
Aug  7 11:31:02 debian-asztal dhcpd: For info, please visit
https://www.isc.org/software/dhcp/
Aug  7 11:31:02 debian-asztal dhcpd: Internet Systems Consortium DHCP
Server 4.1.1-P1
Aug  7 11:31:02 debian-asztal dhcpd: Copyright 2004-2010 Internet
Systems Consortium.
Aug  7 11:31:02 debian-asztal dhcpd: All rights reserved.
Aug  7 11:31:02 debian-asztal dhcpd: For info, please visit
https://www.isc.org/software/dhcp/
Aug  7 11:31:02 debian-asztal dhcpd: Wrote 0 leases to leases file.

>> I restarted networking but still get not eth0 up:
>> sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
>
> That will only restart interfaces specified with 'auto' and you don't
> have auto in any of your interfaces.
>
> To bring up an interface manually you need to use ifup.
>
>   # ifup eth0

OK

>> Running /etc/init.d/networking restart is deprecated because it may
>> not enable again some interfaces ... (warning).
>
> Deprecated because things have moved to an event driven hotplug system
> instead.  But both can co-exist for a while longer if you add the auto
> line.  But in the future get used to interfaces being completely
> dynamic.  This topic gets discussion here in the mailing list
> regularly.
>
>> I restarted networking with network-manager too but still get not
>> eth0 up:
>>
>> sudo /etc/init.d/network-manager restart
>
> If your desktop is always online then you might consider avoiding
> network-manager.  It is useful on a mobile device that needs to be
> selecting different networks at different times.  But wicd does the
> job better.  Adn you don't need it on an always on desktop or server
> and n-m has so many bad problems that it is best to avoid it when
> possible.  Stop network-manager and add this to your interfaces file.

I have purged now network-manager from my desktop system that is always
online.

> auto eth1
> allow-hotplug eth1 # to my ISP
> 	iface eth1 inet dhcp
>
> Then bring the interface up with ifup.
>
>   # ifup eth1

OK

>> What am I missing here?
>
> Hopefully the above will get you going.  Please let us know how it
> goes one way or the other.
>
> Bob

Thank you very much Bob and Tom! It goes well with the abowe showed
setup!

--
Regards, Pal
<http://csanyi-pal.info>