Cups: printer installed but not printing

My /dev/usb/lp0 disappeared (again) and after two days' work trying to
get it back I finally gave up and installed the dreaded Cups.

This detected my Samsung ML2571N without problems and I thought
everything was fine. But, with the recommended driver, printing a test
page gives a blank sheet. And the lpr and lpq commands do not exist at
all so I can't try printing from the command line.

My only clue comes from lpstat:

ithaca:/usr/share/cups:$ lpstat -p -d
printer Samsung_ML-2570_Series is idle.  enabled since Thu 04 Aug 2011 09:31:59 BST
        Unable to open /usr/share/cups/charsets/utf-8: No such file or directory
no system default destination

The last two lines look bad but googling has not provided a clue (some
talk of bugs in Cups).

Can anyone point to possible solutions, please?

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
http://www.acampbell.org.uk - sample my ebooks