Re: Trouble with xdg-open and mimetypes

On Tue, 02 Aug 2011 11:58:47 +0000, Walter Hurry wrote:

> On Tue, 02 Aug 2011 11:38:14 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

>> Mmm... take a look at this bug report and I'd say specifically comment
>> #10:

> Thanks for the reply, but I don't think it's quite the same issue. xdg-
> mime query filetype is producing correct output in my case, and xdg-mime
> default is writing to defaults.list. Following that, xdg-open is working
> properly with files of the relevant type.
>
> My query was why I have to build the defaults.list file manually,
> instead of it being done automagically for me.

And that's what I understand from this excerpt in comment #10:

***
(...)
However, the latest xdg-utils in Debian recommends libfile-mimeinfo-perl,
which gives it the ability to determine MIME types and open files using
Freedesktop.org standards. Also, gnome-desktop-environment depends on
gvfs-bin. So the latest xdg-utils should work in Gnome regardless.
***

But I may have got it wrong :-)

> I don't have gvfs-bin by the way, but I do have gvfs, gvfs-backends and
> gvfs-fuse.

The bug talks about "libfile-mimeinfo-perl" but AFAICT from the above
report, it would work only for the latest version of the package...

Greetings,

--
Camaleón