SOLUTION: Re: Best practices for current Chrome/Chromium and/or Firefox/Icewasel in squeeze?

on 17:05 Tue 26 Jul, Dr. Ed Morbius (dredmorbius@gmail.com) wrote:
> I've recently been made aware of some of the benefits of the Chrome /
> Chromium and Firefox.
>
> Running Squeeze, the most recent Chromium release is from May 13, and
> Firefox 5 isn't available either.
>
> I'd like to manage either / both from my package repos, but be
> reasonably current.
>
> What's best practices?  Method or pointer to docs appreciated.

SOLUTION:

I've added the following lines to my /etc/apt/sources.list:
# Mozilla sources for Mozilla..
deb http://mozilla.debian.net/ squeeze-backports iceweasel-release

# Google software repository
deb http://dl.google.com/linux/deb/ stable non-free main

I've also got testing, unstable, and experimental sources, though I'm
pinned to stable:

# cat /etc/apt/preferences
# Apt preferences

Package: *
Pin: release a=stable
Pin-Priority: 999

Package: *
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 500

Package: *
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 400

Package: *
Pin: release a=experimental
Pin-Priority: 100

I've installed the latest available iceweasel (5.something) and chromium
(12.something) from sources. This took some dependency resolving to work
out, but I've got most of what I want.

Thanks all for the assistance.

--
Dr. Ed Morbius, Chief Scientist /            |
  Robot Wrangler / Staff Psychologist        | When you seek unlimited power