Re: restoring MBR

On 29/07/11 21:28, Baurzhan Ismagulov wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've installed Squeeze to a USB drive, and grub2 installed itself to the
> internal hard drive. Now I can't boot from the internal drive since it
> has encryption software checking some sort of CRC of the MBR. Is the
> backup of the MBR available somewhere in the Linux rootfs?
>
> Please cc to me, I'm not subscribed.
>
> Thanks in advance,
Ouch! I gave you some suggestions for recovering your MBR:-

I've since had a chance to investigate the program you have installed -
Sophos Safe Guard Easy - I was unaware it is a *full disk encryption
program*!

It is unlikely restoring a default Windoof MBR will fix the problem as
Sophos (appears to) modify that. Your best approach, short of a full
re-install of Windoof, is probably to consult Sophos documentation eg.:-

And investigate the "BE_Restore.exe" program from Sophos to unencrypt
the drive - then restore the MBR.
http://www.sophos.it/sophos/docs/eng/manuals/ssg_56_tog_eng_tools.pdf

Grub and other linux boot loaders are not supported by Sophos.

You will be able to boot your Debian install on the external hdd - but
only by installing lilo or grub to that hard drive (see my earlier
comments about choosing boot device).

Cheers (and good luck)

--
“Anybody can be a bum; all it takes is the right girl, the right bar and
the right friends, and you are well… your buddies will see you off.