Re: Entering International Phonetic Alphabet letters in terminal

On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 22:47:32 +0300
Alexander Batischev <eual.jp@gmail.com> dijo:

>On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 07:25:20PM +0100, pch0317 wrote:
>> Hi List,
>>
>> Is it possible to type IPA signs in terminal?
>> For example this sings:ð??^(r)????t?????æ??^? ?????????????.

>What terminal are you talking about - is it TTY (the one you get when
>you press Shift-Alt-F1, for example) or just some terminal emulator
>under X (xterm, Konsole etc.)?
>
>I don't know about any solution for TTY, but under X you can use
>Compose key. There are a lot of tutorials about it on the Net, and you
>can find all the default key bindings in
>'/usr/share/X11/locale/$LANG/Compose' file. Note that you can also
>create your own bindings using ~/.XCompose file.

The Compose key works fine for glyphs that are used in European
languages and other languages that use the Latin alphabet, or
variations on it. However, the IPA uses additional glyphs that must be
defined manually for the Compose key to work.

I have been entering IPA in Linux for years, and I use the Unicode
value with Ctrl-Shift-u. This works system-wide on all versions of
Linux that I have ever used. You do need to know the Unicode value for
the glyph you want to use, of course. I made a couple little strips of
paper with the ones I need most commonly, and I pasted them on the
sides of the keyboard on my laptop.

Also, the font you are using must contain the glyph. There are only a
handful of fonts that contain the complete IPA character set.

For additional help and links to fonts go to ipa4linguists.pbworks.com.