Re: New Debian user help

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 12:08 AM, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
Paul Stuffins wrote:
> I am a long time CentOS user, and have decided, after several months of
> consideration, to move my hosting from CentOS to Debian.

Welcome!

>     root@hydrogen:~# apt-get install libapache2-mod-php5
>     Err http://ftp.debian.org squeeze/main libaprutil1-dbd-sqlite3
> 1.3.9+dfsg-3
>         404  Not Found [IP: 130.89.149.226 80]
> My question is this, is there something I am not doing to make sure that
> apt-get is trying to install the correct versions of software?

Yes.  You need to refresh the package index list.  Do this first.
Then run your install command again.

 # apt-get update

This is only needed when repository packages change, such as for
security upgrades.  Therefore as an optimization it is only done upon
your command.  I run an update before starting a series of installs or
upgrades or whatever.  But I don't need to do it every time I do it.

With CentOS my experience is limited but as far as I can see yum runs
the equivalent package index update every time you run any yum
command.  At least it seems that way to me when I have used it.  But
that can be quite slow.  The advantage to apt here is that you don't
have to wait for it when it is up to date.  The disadvantage is that
you need to know and to do it manually when needed.

Bob

That is excellent, thanks Bob.

I used to be quite a fan of CentOS, but over the past year or so I have noticed the support quality has dropped quite alot, and the recent process of getting CentOS 6 out was a nightmare.

--Paul