why /etc/nethack/nethackrc.console didn't install

I still don't know, but did find something out that was useful.  The
nethack-console.sh script looks for that file as well as a user's
.nethackrc file.  So I made me a short .nethackrc file and eliminated that
warning when the game starts up.  Probably the nethack configuration
package which holds things like nethack options and the like got removed
from the debian nethack package for some reason.