Re: Getting 1280x1024 to work on my dual head system

On 21/07/11 13:07, Marcelo Luiz de Laia wrote:
Hi Alan,

I have found your message at user list and I would like to ask you
about your gdm.conf and about your xorg.conf. Is ti possible to share
it? I have a trouble in setup a multihead here. Please, could you
found my previous message at

I want to do that in one single card.

Thank you very much!

Marcelo

Firstly, when I first started I had a blank canvas to play with. I was building a new computer from scratch and could choose almost any hardware I wanted. In the end I bought an extra graphics card (Gigabit Geforce 8400GS that turned out to be totally superflous to requirements. On the other hand I did have to go out and buy a DVI to VGA cable.

1) I chose Intel for the simple reason that the i5 2500 had a very good price/performance value and apart from the debacle over the GMA500 in an Dell atom laptop have generally got good performance open source drivers. However their were murmurings on the internet that non Intel motherboards had proven unstable. All these were were based around the time Sandybridge first came out, but I didn't find anything that later said it was alright. So I chose to go with an Intel Motherboard, the DH67DL with integrated graphics.

2) I spent a while exploring Xinerama before I realised it was not right

3) Although I specify some things in xorg.conf, Gnome through the System/Preferences/Monitor dialog seems to modify things as I log in. I suspect it is using xrandr to do this. However what I put in xorg.conf certainly effects the scope of what this dialog presents. In particular it was limiting my secondary monitors resolution to 1024x768 until I got the correct xorg.conf working. Then it added 1280x1024 as a mode.

4) I originally altered /etc/gdm3/Init/Default to include xrandr commands to achieve what I eventually achieved through xorg.conf. It didn't work well for me - but also is not the recommended approach, so I restored that file to its original setting and started working on /etc/X11/xorg.conf

5) Some of my xorg.conf is Intel Specific you will have to figure out the Nvidia or Nouveau equivalents

My xorg.conf

Section "Device"
	Identifier "H67 Integrated Graphics"
	Driver "intel"
	Option "Monitor-HDMI2" "Iiyama 24in"
	Option "Monitor-VGA1" "Iiyama 17in"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier "Iiyama 24in"
	Option "DPMS"
	Option "Primary"
	Option "PreferredMode" "1920x1080"
	Option "Position" "0 0"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier "Iiyama 17in"
	Option "DPMS"
	Option "PreferredMode" "1280x1024"
	HorizSync 24.0-80.0
	VertRefresh 55-75
Modeline "1280x1024" 106.08 1280 1320 1392 1640 1024 1026 1029 1078 # 106 MHz, 64.7 kHz, 60.0 Hz
	Option "Position" "1920 0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier "Default Screen"
	Device "H67 Integrated Graphics"
	Monitor "Iiyama 24in"
	DefaultDepth 24
	Subsection "Display"
		   Depth 24
		   Modes "1920x1080" "1024x768" "640x480"
	EndSubSection
EndSection

The only strange one is the modeline. As my previous post said, I used videogen for that.

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk