Re: [SOLVED] Getting 1280x1024 to work on my dual head system

On 21/07/11 11:40, Alan Chandler wrote:
After a lot of trial and error I have finally got an almost perfect dual
head configuration set up.

My main monitor is at 1920x1080 my secondary monitor is currently maxed
at 1024x768.

According to the monitor specs my secondary monitor is capable of
1280x1024 but the Gnome Monitor preferences doesn't allow it.

I tried adding a modeline in xorg.conf to specify the 1280x1024
resolution which I copied from elsewhere. It half worked in the sense
that it looked like the the new resolution was recognised, but since I
didn't really understand all the parameters, the vertical stretching was
all wrong (ie it was putting the bottom of the screen edge of the bottom
of the monitor).

Can someone help me construct a modeline - I am not really sure what all
the parameters mean

Found a program in the repository called videogen

Feed in the parameters about the monitor and the max dot clock for the video card (I found a value of 148MHz being used in some output from Xorg.log.0 and tried that) and it produced a modeline for me.

I stuffed that into my Monitor section of the xorg.conf, logged out and back in again and now the gnome screen preferences give this 1280x1024 as a valid value. So I set that.

Once I hit the "auto" adjust on the monitor it appears to have worked perfectly

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk