Re: lost disk space

On 20/07/11 02:34 AM, Martin Ågren wrote:
On 20 July 2011 07:12, Frank McCormick<debianlist@videotron.ca>  wrote:
Spent  a few hours watching online video tonight (the Discovery website)
and discovered afterwards that I had lost about 7 GIGS of diskspace!!
I assume it was because of all that video watching (in Google-Chrome) but
now I can't find out where it's gone ?

You could try something like

du -h | grep -E "^.{1,5}G"

from e.g., your home directory. This will report disk usage of each
FILE, recursively for directories (-h for human-readable sizes) and
pick only those lines that are reported using the Gigabyte unit.
Somewhere in the output of this command, you might find your problem.

Hope that helps,
Martin

Well, it helped but had to do it in the root, and keep it from checking every mounted drive :)
Found two files in /var/log...kernel.log and syslog.1 that are more than
3.7 gigs each. I still haven't looked into them to see what was being logged all the time I was watching streaming video. Are there not methods in place for preventing this sort of thing? And what's the best way to deal with them..should I simply delete them ?

At any rate thanks to everyone for the help - I also had a quick look at
man find..and just as quickly got lost in its seemingly thousands of
possible commands :)

--
Cheers
Frank