Re: smart formatting csv files

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 2:15 PM, Joao Ferreira Gmail
<joao.miguel.c.ferreira@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm currently dealing with some big ugly csv files (separator is ';').
> I'm using gedit or kwrite to visualize them.
>
> Does anyone know if there is some kind of plugin ou external scripts for
> gedit/kwrite  that would allow me to align all that data vertically by
> adding spaces where needed... the visual effect would be just like I
> would get using a spreadsheet.
>
> I'dd like to go from this:
>
> a;aa;aaaaaaaaaa
> bb;bb;bb
> ;;ccccccc
>
> to this:
>
>  a;aa;aaaaaaaaaa
> bb;bb;        bb
>  ;  ;   ccccccc

It's not entirely clear what you want from the description. I assume
you want to see the data tabulated. I'm not sure if it's possible to
do this in gedit or kwrite, but, for what it's worth, a fast and easy
solution is to open your file with openoffice calc. When you do so you
will be presented with a dialog that will let you choose your
delimiter and whether textual data are surrounded by quotes. This will
get you the spreadsheet view you need, and you can also edit the data
and save them at will.