Re: How to tell X to use a specific video driver

On Wednesday 13 July 2011 12:07:56 pm Tech Geek wrote:
> >There isn't one 'cos X nowadays automagically detect everything - when
> > it does.
>
> Yes, I am aware of that, except that, in this case X does not detect
> the correct driver automagically...:)

You can still use an 'xorg.conf' file. You can put in the stanzas that you want to
use, ie 'Section Device', which is where the driver goes. Not sure if this
is 'best practices' but works here.

It could be that your card is correctly auto detected, correct driver tried and
failed to load. Read the log file to see why. '/var/log/Xorg.0.log'

 I have an old ATI card that is no longer supported by the current X stuff, use
Vesa..which is a good driver these days for my laptop.

Here  is mine.

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "NVIDIA CARD 1"
        Driver      "nvidia"