Re: udev rules for 2 identical webcams + 1 spare cam

> Von: Camaleón <noelamac@xxxxx.xxx>
> > SUBSYSTEM=="video4linux", ATTRS{idVendor}=="046d",
> > ATTRS{idProduct}=="08a2", Name="video%n"
>
> Why "video%n"? Why not using a fixed name for each Logitech webcam?
>
> Just curious O:-)

What do you mean ? - SYMLINK+="webcam%n" ? I tried that, didn't help.

The reactived source explains the use of regular expressions in node names:

KERNEL=="fd[0-9]*"

But SYMLINK+="webcam[1-2]*" produced bogus device nodes - unusable. I also
tried the bracket expression without the wildcard. It looks like udev no
longer works this way?

One more source [1] explained udev rules with identical usb devices like this:

SUBSYSTEM=="video4linux", SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", KERNELS=="1-1", \
SYMLINK+="webcam1"
SUBSYSTEM=="video4linux", SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", KERNELS=="1-2", \
SYMLINK+="webcam2"

I changed the usb path to my needs, but this syntax is no longer working?

> Have you tried to enforce the permissions of the webcams
> (owner/group/mode)?

I tried to force GROUP="video" but didn't help.

Anymore ideas? Should I change the level to sth higher than 10-xxxx.rule?

Is it worth filing a bug report against udev?

Regards Tuxoholic

[1] http://somedutch.blogspot.com/2010/01/big-mothers-watching-you.html