Re: OT - stitching together 2 pdf files

On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 22:12:21 +0100, Roger Leigh wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 06:28:02PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 13:59:55 -0300, Facundo Aguirre wrote:

(...)

>> > gs -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -q -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOutputFile=finished.pdf
>> > file1.pdf file2.pdf
>>
>> +1 for this.
>>
>> That's also my one-liner to get the job done :-)
>
> IME, this sometimes causes problems.  Because it's run through gs, it's
> (TTBOMK) converted from PDF to PS, and then back again, which can
> seriously bloat some PDF files.  I've had some increase from a few MiB
> to hundreds of MiB using this method.
>
> Obviously depends upon the individual PDF file, but there must be some
> means by which PDF represents things much more compactly which gs
> expands and then doesn't have the intelligence to undo when it comes to
> writing the outout PDF.
>
> pdftk, OTOH, works on the PDF directly without any need for conversion
> (internally) into a different format and back again.

I don't like having installed additional software for something I use
sporadically and joining PDF's is not on my day to day agenda: "gs" does
the job quite well and is very powerful :-)

Should I have to do this on an every day basis, I would consider another
options, like PDFEdit which is more in the line of Adobe Acrobat.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón