Shrinking encrypted LVM partition

Hello everyone,

I have to make room on my hard drive for another operating system on my
hard disk.  I currently have /boot on sda1, encrypted LVM on sda5
(which, I think, an extended partition); this was set up by the
installer.  I just want to install the other OS on a primary partition,
instead of trying to get it set up with LVM.  What is the easiest way to
rearrange my disk to make room for a primary partition?  As far as I
know, it is not possible to resize a partition encrypted with the method
used by Debian, so I will have to backup the data on the LVM partition,
shrink sda5, and then reformat it and restore the LVM logical volumes.

I'm hoping there is a simpler way.  Is there?

Regards,
Aidan Gauland