Root passwd not accepted

I'm new at this. Sorry. But I think this is a real bug.

Debian Release 6.0.2.1
Architecture: amd64

I have done a number of installs with both CD and DVD images on two different machines. I have tried a number of different combinations of options during these installs. Obviously, I could not try all possible combinations. But the common pattern seems to be that if I request the "Graphical expert" install and then
select the shadow password system, then in the  installed system, the root
password cannot be authenticated.

As much as possible, I have tried to select the default choices for the installs. I do not have an Internet connection on that machine, so I could not take those choices which involved online access. I did manual network config, no NTP, etc. But the LAN works properly, the desktop comes up and all works except any form of root login. Both su command and attempting to open a "root" terminal fail.

Lloyd Rice
lloydrice@frii.com