Re: Can not startx anymore after the laptop was forced to turn off

On 11 Jul 2011, Wayne Topa wrote:
> > Not sure this is your issue but most people don't run startx directly. It's
> > generally an init script to start the desktop manager (xdm, gdm, kdm, etc).
> >
> Oh?  I have been using startx for 15 + years now.  Please let me know
> why I should be using xdm, gdm, kdm?

Those of us who don't want to use Gnome, KDE and the rest of the desktop
managers necessarily do use startx. Incidentally, it provides an easy
way to pass commands to X when it starts.

Anthony (using Icewm)

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk