Re: is vlc package on really broken or is it just me

On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 13:11:00 +1000
Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/07/11 11:15, briand@aracnet.com wrote:
> > apt-get install vlc yields the following:

> >  vlc : Depends: vlc-nox (= 1.1.10-1) but it is not going to be installed
> >        Depends: libavcodec52 (>= 4:0.6-1~) but 4:0.5.2-6 is to be installed or
> >                 libavcodec-extra-52 (>= 4:0.6-1~) but it is not installable
> >        Recommends: vlc-plugin-notify (= 1.1.10-1) but it is not going to be installed
> >        Recommends: vlc-plugin-pulse (= 1.1.10-1) but it is not going to be installed
> > E: Broken packages
> >
> > any way I can install the stable version ?  well at least I have a nouveau that works :-)
> >
> > Brian
> >

> Umm, you haven't been using the debian-multimedia repository have you?
> Because the main Debian repositories only supply the versions apt is
> asking for in Wheezy and Sid...
>
> If you have installed vlc from multimedia - remove it, comment out the
> multimedia repository, update, then reinstall.

I _was_ using multimedia but I took it out of sources BEFORE I upgraded to wheezy, and I took it out by deleting the line.

dist-upgrade thinks everything is good.

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done

anyway to "reset" the package list or otherwise check it for consistency ?

Brian