Re: What is the recommended way to upgrade from grub-legacy to grub2

On Mon, 11 Jul 2011 19:21:45 +0000 (UTC)
Hendrik Boom <hendrik@topoi.pooq.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Jul 2011 14:08:40 -0400, Tom H wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 10:37 AM, Hendrik Boom
> > <hendrik@topoi.pooq.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> When I search for ways to upgrade, all I find it people having
> >> trouble with grub2.
> >>

> > /usr/sbin/upgrade-from-grub-legacy
>
> Yes, after
>
>     install grub
>
> once I'm sure grub2 is working by chainloading it from existing grub1.

I was one of those who had trouble when sid went through this process, a
couple of years ago now. As you say to begin with, there was no shortage
of people asking questions, but nobody giving any answers.

The system had been running fine on the chainloader for a few weeks, so
I tried the upgrade-from-grub-legacy, and the machine never booted
again. If I remember rightly, it would get to the message about
stage 1.5 and then hang. Absolutely nothing I could do would fix it, so
I reinstalled sid with grub2 from scratch. If I was now faced with a
machine running the chainloader, I'd leave it that way, and if it had
to be upgraded I'd go for ripping it all out and installing grub2 with
aptitude, and pray that it initialised the drive properly.

My system is not that exotic, but is 64 bit with LVM, and is kept up
to date. To be honest, I doubt that the upgrade had been tested on a
wide enough range of hardware and filesytems. Possibly it has by now.

--
Joe