Re: What is the recommended way to upgrade from grub-legacy to grub2

On Mon, 11 Jul 2011 16:47:12 +0100, Brian wrote:

> On Mon 11 Jul 2011 at 14:37:37 +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:
>
>> Now I never actually did this upgrade, just kept updating testing every
>> few weeks, until testing got to be squeeze.  What do I do now to do
>> this upgrade, and get this safe chain-load option?  Just install grub2
>> using aptitude?  Or does the lenny->squeeze upgrade do something
>> sneakier?
>
> http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/release-notes/ch-
upgrading.en.html#update-grub

Thanks.

I had found that paragraph, but it didn't say what to do if you were
already running squeeze.  Just that you'd be given that option if you
were doing a wholesale upgrade from oldstable lenny to stable squeeze.  I
never got that option in the year or two I was doing incremental updates
on testing.  I had gotten an option to install grub 2 about a year and a
half ago, but that was before they offered chainloading from grub 1 to
grub 2.  Given all the problems with unbootable systems being reported at
that time, I declined.  The chainloading that's available now seems to be
the safe one.

-- hendrik