Re: nautilus file browser "by name"

Francesco Pietra wrote:
> Nautilus file browser uses its concept of ordering files by name.
> While the gnome2 terminal does that correctly, the file browser mixes
> up files, which, for computational chemistry, in the presence of many
> composite names, is not what it should.

This is almost certainly a locale issue.  People have been plagued by
ordering problems ever since locales were introduced.  Are you setting
a locale for the system (probably inherited into nautilus) differently
than for your shell (used by ls when emitting names in the shell)?

To print the current locale settings:

  $ locale

To set the system locale:

  $ sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales

Inspect your ~/.bash_profile, ~/.bashrc (or as appropriate if you are
using a shell other than bash) and look for any locale variable
settings.  Setting something there will affect programs run from the
shell but will not affect the shell itself (set too late) and won't
affect nautilus unless you have taken special care.

Also, "gnome2 terminal" does not print file names.  You are thinking,
that is what you see but we are thinking that the terminal supports
managing a shell's input and output and then from the shell you would
run a variety of programs.  Say instead the program that you are using
to list filenames.  I think most will assume that you are using 'ls'
for that purpose but it could be bash itself (e.g. echo *) or other
ways and the difference is important.

I suspect that you have set your desired locale okay in your
~/.bashrc file but have a different locale configured in
/etc/default/locale inherited into gdm, inherited into gnome,
inherited into nautilus, and are therefore getting a different
collation sequence there.

Bob