Re: (Solved) Re: Disabling GNOME loud beep at shutting down

On Sat, 09 Jul 2011 12:44:36 +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

> On Vi, 08 iul 11, 15:44:50, Camaleón wrote:

>> I finally could solved it by reducing the "beep" volume level from
>> gnome volume control applet so it seems coming from here (if I mute the
>> "beep" I hear nothing at all but that's not what I want).
>
> It's quite common for laptops to have the system/motherboard beep volume
> in the "regular" mixer, since it goes through the same speakers.
>
> Since a few kernel releases there is also a new "Digital" control, that
> seems to be a software emulated system beep, that goes through the sound
> card. A bit redundant for laptops, but might be useful for desktops (or
> very annoying).

Curious is that inside GNOME I can't get the system beep, e.g.:

echo -e "\a"

Procudes no sound when runned from gnome-terminal but works when I go to
tty1 :-?

>> It should be nice to completely disable that beep sound when restarting
>> without disturbing the beep volume level, if someone has a clue, please
>> tell :-)
>
> Hack gdm? :p

Ha! :-)

But this is indeed something coming from GMD (or from the GNOME side)
because I get no beep when I fall into "init 1" and run from there
"shutdown -r now".

Greetings,

--
Camaleón