Re: Wheezy apt-get upgrade blows away USB printer

On Fri, 08 Jul 2011 13:47:13 +0000, I wrote:

> I have a Wheezy host with a USB CUPS printer (Xerox Phaser 6280DN).  I
> just did a weekly apt-get upgrade, and now the printer can't be found.

On Fri, 8 Jul 2011 14:50:26 +0000 (UTC), Camaleón replied:

> (and just out of curiosity... your printed shows "-N" in its name so I
> think is a network based one. If so, why using the USB interface? I've
> always found network based card to be more reliable than USB ones)

I forgot to answer this.  I did have it running from a local network hub
until just two weeks ago.  There were two problems.  First, my organization
frowns on private hubs, since they'd rather charge us for a separate jack
for every networked device.  Second, if the hub goes down (e.g. a power
outage) and the printer gets assigned a new IP, then I have to redefine the
printer URL, which is somewhat annoying on the XP end.  So I thought a direct
USB CUPS printer would be better all around.