Re: redundant debian array via mdadm

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 12:23 PM, Joey L <mjh2000@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 6:49 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 7:43 AM, Joey L <mjh2000@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > I am trying to build a system that will give me as much tolerance as
>> > possible.
>> > I have (4) 1 Terabyte drives.
>> > I have created 2 mirrored raid drives md0 and md1.
>> > md0 has the / and boot partition on it.
>> > and md1 has the data on lvm.
>> > On /dev/sda I also have my swap partition on it.
>> > I have tried to test what would happen if i loose my first drive in the
>> > root
>> > partition /.
>> > I get a blinking cursor - something is preventing  the mirrored drive
>> > from
>> > kicking in and booting.
>>
>> Have you installed grub the MBRs of sda and sdb?
>
> I have 4 drives.
>
> I would like complete fault tolerance if a drive fails.
> Is there a simple tutorial online that can show me how to do this in debian
> ??
> On the first set of drives - I have created 2 raid partitions on each drive
> - 1 for the root / filesystem (996gb) and the other for swap (4gb) - I have
> 4gb of ram in the server.
> I managed to setup the / and the swap system but i think i am doing
> something wrong with swap - when i do:
> root@rider:~# cat /proc/mdstat
> Personalities : [raid1]
> md2 : active (auto-read-only) raid1 sdc1[0] sdd1[1]
>       976759672 blocks super 1.2 [2/2] [UU]
> md1 : active (auto-read-only) raid1 sda2[0] sdb2[1]
>       4104180 blocks super 1.2 [2/2] [UU]
> md0 : active raid1 sda1[0] sdb1[1]
>       972654456 blocks super 1.2 [2/2] [UU]
> unused devices: <none>
> It keeps showing up as read-only.
> Further - I tried to use the 2 other drives as mirroring each other - md2 -
> but it took a long time to mirror drives.
> How can i do this after the system is setup ???
> How can I create a filesystem on them???
> How do I put MBRs on both drives that have the root filesytem (.).

I've never come across "auto-read-only", perhaps because I haven't run
"/proc/mdstat" straight after booting. Google says that writing to the
arrays will put them into rw mode.

You already have all four drives mirrored.

You can install grub to the MBRs of sda and sdb with "grub-install
/dev/sda" and "grub-install /dev/sdb".