Re: Wheezy install - grub wont write to MBR with RAID and LVM

On Wed, 06 Jul 2011 12:33:14 -0400, Tom H wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 11:49 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 06 Jul 2011 10:14:14 -0400, S Scharf wrote:
>>>
>>> 2) The Motherboard has Intel Raid support. If I enable the motherboard
>>> Raid, the installer does not see the raid disk. (for that matter
>>> neither does my systemrescuecd, but a Ubuntu 11.4 live boot can see
>>> it). What do I have to do to make this useable?
>>
>> I would seriously reconsider that setup unless you really *really* need
>> it (that is, unless you have to dual boot with windows + RAID).
>>
>> Linux software raid (md) is a more safe approach than using the BIOS
>> fakeraid facility (dm).
>
> This may or may not convince you that dmraid's OK: you can manage dmraid
> volumes with mdadm.

I don't fear dmarid but manufacturer's BIOSes that can make use non-
standard ways of handling hard disk controller data. You know, they don't
provide open specs for devels can develop stable tools, so I would prefer
to stick to mdraid and AHCI or SATA mode that are well-known. I don't
like to play "russian roulette" with my data.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón