Re: GRUB OR LILO?

On Mon, 04 Jul 2011 02:24:38 -0400 (EDT), Alex Padoly wrote:

> For a server that works permanently with DEBIAN SQUEEZE,
> I used LILO in kernel compilation and with and scsi isa card.
> Why many of LINUX distribution choose GRUB?
> I don't know that I must choose.

I believe most distributions make Grub Version 2 their default
boot loader because, at least in theory, it handles the majority
of user's needs and because it is the newest boot loader.  I
used it for a short while, but quickly abandoned it and went back
to LILO due to problems I was having with it at that time.
Perhaps those problems have since been resolved, I don't know.
But I continue to see trouble reports against it, and that does
not encourage me.  Besides, LILO does everything I need it to do.

If you are building your own custom kernels, and if you are
using LILO, you may find these two web pages useful resources:

   http://users.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm
   http://users.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/lilo.htm

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell