Re: disk problems: which ATA?

On Sun, 2011-07-03 at 23:48 +0100, Brian wrote:
> On Sun 03 Jul 2011 at 11:25:18 -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
>
> > How can I tell which ata device is which hard drive?  It's come up
> > several times for me, most recently with
> > ata2.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6 frozen
>
> For ata1.00 on this machine:
>
>    ls -l /sys/class/scsi_disk/0:0:0:0/device/ | grep block:
Does ata1 always go with scsi 0:0:0:0?
and ata2 with scsi 1:0:0:0?
etc?

The information in the directory you mention gets me from the scsi
location to the symbolic drive (e.g., sda)--which is good to know.  But
I'm not sure how to go from ata -> scsi.

> > I'd also welcome advice about the disk problems, but I was hoping to
> > raise the odds of an answer by keeping it simple :)
>
> You thought devising an answer to your first question would be easy?
Neither I nor my real sysadmin could figure it out.  I was hoping it
would be easy for someone :)

> I've just spent the best part of two hours on it!
Thank you very much!

> No time now to sort
> out your disk problem. :)
I have survived my reboot, and all the LVs not backed by the bad disk seem OK.

That startup was interesting: the filesystems backed by the bad disk
were mounted; an ext3 volume replayed the journal and a reiser volume
started an fsck.  The latter bombed part way through and various
hardware looking errors popped up.  I got dropped into the startup
subshell with only / mounted.  I issued mount -a and proceeded with the
boot.

LVM tools (I tried lvs) still aren't getting anything but errors,
concluding with the message
  Couldn't find all physical volumes for volume group daisy.
  Volume group "daisy" not found
which is pretty odd, since I'm running on volumes from daisy.

Maybe if I pull the hard drive completely LVM will be happier.

Ross