Re: NVIDIA - URGENT

On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 12:44 PM, Hans Vogelsberger <li.vog@schwaz.net> wrote:
> Todays testing update, safe-upgrade and full-upgrade totally killed my X
> which ran with NVIDIA driver. Even this posting I must send from my old
> computer which is in a terrible state because I did nothing on it since I
> use the new one. Without X, most work I do on my computer cannot be done.

I just had exactly the same problem.  nvidia-glx cannot be installed,
apparently, as it breaks everything (or a bunch of other stuff).
Using aptitude, I manually removed all of the nvidia packages
(nvidia-kernel-common, -dkms, etc.), installed xorg-video-nouveau
(although I'd rather use the proprietary driver), moved
/etc/X11/xorg.conf (a file generated by nvidia-config which tries to
load the nvidia module, so that 'startx' still fails), after all of
which 'startx' finally worked.  I tried all kinds of ways to try to
get the nvidia drivers to work, but had no luck.  At least now I'm in
X, albeit with the nouveau driver.  Who knows?  Maybe it will turn out
to be OK.

Patrick