Re: monitor detection maybe not working

On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 13:22:02 -0700, Paul Scott wrote:

> I'm running sid.
>
> My monitor stopped going to the correct resolution some upgrades ago.  I
> have an
>
> nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX - nForce GPU] (rev a3).

Which VGA driver are you using?

Nvidia closed driver provides "nvidia-settings" app to manage the basics
of the card.

Also, better if you upload your full "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" somewhere,
just in case.

> I'm researching many things from this list etc. to attempt to solve the
> problem but one concern is that I don't think my monitor is being
> detected correctly.  ddcprobe seems to give the correct info but I don't
> think this info is being used.

You may also find useful "xrandr", a powerful tool that will allow you to
add new resolutions for your video modes (very useful if they're not
properly detected). The only drawback is that is not a very intuitive
tool, you will need big doses of patience (test/error probes) and reading
several docs, like this one, which I found to be quite nice:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution

But given that the error came after an update in sid, it can be also be
some kind of annoying glitch that will become resolved in the next
upgrade :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón