Re: audio through HDMI on a IDT 92HD71B sound card

On 06/30/11 at 09:58am, Yuwen Dai wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I have a Dell Latitude E6400 laptop, which has a Displayport.  I tried to
> connect the laptop with a Sony TV with a HDMI port. So I bought a
> Displayport-HDMI converter from Dell.  When I play a movie using mplayer,
> the video is OK on TV, but without sound on TV.  The sound is still played
> by the Laptop.   I doubt the sound card driver doesn't support HDMI, this is
> the result of `aplay -l':
> card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]
>   Subdevices: 0/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>
> This is the result of `aplay -L':
> null
>     Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
> default:CARD=Intel
>     HDA Intel, STAC92xx Analog
>     Default Audio Device
> front:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
>     HDA Intel, STAC92xx Analog
>     Front speakers
> surround40:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
>     HDA Intel, STAC92xx Analog
>     4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
> surround41:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
>     HDA Intel, STAC92xx Analog
>     4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
> surround50:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
>     HDA Intel, STAC92xx Analog
>     5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
> surround51:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
>     HDA Intel, STAC92xx Analog
>     5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
> surround71:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
>     HDA Intel, STAC92xx Analog
>     7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
>
> It seems no digit device.  I tried both in Debian stable and testing.  The
> version of kernel in testing is 2.6.38, alsa is 1.0.23.  Any suggestion?

That looks like the output of aplay -L, not aplay -l. Try aplay -L (capital L)
and let's see what you've got.

You can try removing alsa packages and installing from source, on rare
occasions this works if you have a new chipset. What does google return about
Alsa/Linux on an E6400?

--
Liam