Re: Installing some packages needs not original DVD

On 30/06/11 05:06, Daniel Skowroński wrote:
> Becouse some computers doesn't have CD-ROM and without CD/DVD user can't
> continue installation. I found entries and deleted it. There shuld be
> way to skip CDs or DVDs on refresheng repos.
>
> DS

There is (a way).
You did it (put a comment in front of the source line). :-)

While the "solution" might appear to be:-
1. identify install medium/source (fixed drive, removable drive, iso on
fixed drive, iso on removable drive, pxe, dvd/cd etc, etc, etc)
2. add install medium/source to sources.list
3. finish install and test for existence of install medium/source
4. if install medium/source still present - enable entry in sources.list
5....

It doesn't allow for a myriad of other situations (eg. add online
repositories and custom local repositories to install source, build time
setup is only for build time).
So the most common source of install packages for the lowest skilled
installer is made the default.

Perhaps as well as an end of build instruction to remove the install
media before rebooting (for those that  reboot) could be accompanied by
instruction on how to comment out the DVD/CD source lines - but that
creates problems for the many that will want to use the original CD/DVD
as a source for additional package installs. I guess that's the very
small price we pay for a huge range of installation choices.

Cheers

P.S. While you're commenting out the install CD/DVD lines from
sources.list - presumably because you want to pull further packages from
somewhere else. If you're not going to build anything from source -
comment out the scr lines as well. It'll mean an update pulls down less
data.

--
"This is where we are at right now, as a whole. No one is left out of
the loop.