Re: FiiO E7 USB headphone Amplifier -- no sound

On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 22:56:35 -0700
John Magolske <listmail@b79.net> wrote:

> I just bought a FiiO E7 USB headphone amplifier. I've read that it
> works fine under Linux [1], but have not had any luck getting sound
> out of it.
>
> When running alsamixer I see "USB Audio DAC" come up when pressing
> the F6 "Select sound card". Selecting that and adjusting the volume
> accomplishes nothing...no sound out of the headphones pugged into the
> device (whereas the headphone jack on my x200s ThinkPad works fine).
> I've also unmuted everything in alsamixer.
>
> Any suggestions regarding how to troubleshoot this?

As I understand it (and I'm no expert): when your ALSA system has
multiple sound devices, they'll all show up in the mixers, and
applications are free to choose any one they wish. I have no idea if
there's some way to set a system default (perhaps at the Desktop
Environment level?) - I've always just configured this on an
application by application basis. So using mplayer, I have these two
lines in my .mplayer/config:

#ao=alsa:device=hw=1
#mixer=/dev/mixer1

The internal sound card is hw=0 ; when my external USB sound device is
plugged in, I uncomment these lines, telling mplayer to use the
external device, and when it isn't, I comment them out, causing mplayer
to use the internal one. There certainly ought to be some more elegant
way to automate this, but as I said, I'm no expert.

The second line instructs mplayer to use the second mixer device (the
first is /dev/mixer), which corresponds to the external sound device.
Without this line, adjusting the volume in mplayer will send commands
to the default mixer, and the USB sound volume will remain untouched.
There certainly ought to be some way to link the device and mixer,
i.e., to instruct mplayer to automatically use the mixer that
corresponds to the selected sound device, but once again, I have no
idea how to do this.

Configuration instructions will presumably differ depending on your
sound application.

Hth,
Celejar