How to log inbound IPs on telnet connection?

Hello,
I run a vintage BBS on my Debian box that uses telnet for connections.
By default, the software is written to accept connections on port
1234, as opposed to 23 as is default for telnet. I use a little
utility called redir that takes inbound connections on port 23 and
reroutes them locally to port 1234. The problem is, it shows that
users connected from localhost as opposed to their actual IP. I need a
way to be able to log IPs to ban troublemakers. Is there a program or
script to log inbound IPs?
Thanks!
-Alex