Re: virtualbox cannot see USB anymore

On 25/06/11 04:58 AM, Camaleón wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 21:19:03 -0400, H.S. wrote:
>
> (...)
>
>> First, I tried the virtualbox-ose from Debian repos until I realized it
>> does not support USB. Next, I discovered I can install Virtualbox from
>> Oracle to get USB support (after installing the extensions as well).
>> That worked quite well. Till I updated my machine several days ago.
>>
>> Since that update, I keep getting a message about some USB Node creation
>> script not being found during boot. The message is something like: $>
>> /usr/share/virtualbox/VBoxCreateUSBNode.sh not found.
>
> (...)
>
> Updates can to bork VM settings. You can try Steve's suggestion or even
> be a bit more radical and test with a complete "~/.VirtualBox" empty/new
> profile (do not delete the old one, just move it to another place).
>
> Greetings,

So here is what I did. Purged Oracle's virtual box, removed my
~/.VirtualBox. Purged the package's installation directory (had some
modules that aptitude didn't remove) and followed that by installing
Debian's Virtualbox package. I then installed the extension I am using
from Oracle's website.

Now I have USB support and I can read USB sticks from within the guest
OS. However, I am unable to work my Tomtom GPS unit via USB. Not sure
where the problem lies anymore, since the Tomtom unit actually connects
as a network or something, instead of a storage device. So it could be
Tomtom (but I was able to work with it till about a couple of weeks ago)
or the new updates in Debian.

ever having been read.