Re: which iso for vm guest on win 7 64 bit

Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 23:15:53 -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:
>
>> The only netinst iso I see that has anything to indicate it is 64 bit is
>> named amd64.  So when a PC is running Intel64, is there a 64 bit ISO for
>> that?
>
> A PC can be running a 64-bits OS but that is not a guarantee that your VM
> can manage 64-bits guests. I would first read the manual of the involved
> VM software.

According to Vbox documentation
 (http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch03.html), it supports 64 bit
 guests even when host is 32 bit.  (under certain conditions)

>> I am installing Debian as guest in a vm running on win7 64 bit.  Since
>> the ARCH is not amd, is there a 64 bit iso to use in that case?
>
> What kind of VM are we talking here? And what performance are you
> expecting to get? :-)

I hoped to run a linux machine to interface with tarsnap.

Now I've studied a bit more, I suspect either version of debian
will be fine.

Far as performance, since the host is able to donate 4GB for the
guest, I'd expect it to be pretty good.

(host is i7 8GB ram)