Re: which iso for vm guest on win 7 64 bit

On 06/22/11 at 11:15pm, Harry Putnam wrote:
> The only netinst iso I see that has anything to indicate it is 64 bit
> is named amd64.  So when a PC is running Intel64, is there a 64 bit
> ISO for that?
>
> I am installing Debian as guest in a vm running on win7 64 bit.  Since
> the ARCH is not amd, is there a 64 bit iso to use in that case?

amd64 is the 64bit architecture used by both AMD and Intel in modern CPUs, also
known as x86_64 chipset. The only other explicitly 64-bit architecture I'm
aware of is Intels Itanium (IA64) architecture. I don't know of any software
that currently virtualizes it.

Long story short, you probably want amd64 if you're going to take advantage of
a 64bit desktop CPU. If you don't have any reason to actually use the 64bit
capacity, stick with the i386 iso.

--
Liam