Re: HELP, NO ram disk devices shown under /dev

On 06/21/11 at 09:46pm, Junjie Qian wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Now I have one problem that there is no ram disk devices shown under
> /dev. But I can use the OS with no problem, as some other guys in my
> group need to use such files, could anyone give me any advice on
> this?
> And I think this should exist by default.

'ram disks' as devices haven't been used in quite a while. The standard method
of using filesystems in memory is 'tmpfs'. Try mount -t tmpfs -o size=nbytes
/test/dir

If you really need a ram disk (for non-filesystem uses, maybe?) you could
create it with mknod /dev/ramdisk b 1 1 (IIRC, anyway). Then you can allocate
the size using dd.

--
Liam