Re: What controls X?

Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
Hi list, after some update long time ago, kdm is starting on console 9 instead od console 7 (which is deafult).

I could still not find out, where X is controlled at. I found this process:

root 10358 7.8 1.9 146300 41052 tty10 Rs+ 19:13 14:11 /usr/bin/X :0 vt10 -br -nolisten tcp -auth /var/run/xauth/A:0-DzJNF

Examing the system, I found in /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc

exec /usr/bin/X -nolisten tcp "$@"

where "$@" I suppose is the console-number.

But where does it get from? In kdmrc the terminal is configured, that it should use the next free console (ServerVTs=-7).File /etc/inittab is identically like on my other computers, where X is still running on console 7.

Just on my amd64-system it is started wrong. Although it is not a big problem at all, I am very interested, how things work together, as I found no misconfigured configuration yet. It would be nice, if someone might point me, which configs are involved, and maybe which steps I should check, to get X back to console 7.

(besides: Of course, it is working, if I change

ServerVTs=-7

but as this setting is workingh on all my other systems, I want to leave it as set by default and find out, why the same settings differ only on this special machine.

Hope, someone knwos better, as I try to solve this now since months.

I note that with gdm3 X jumps to console 8 upon restart of gdm3.

Hugo