Re: Re (5): Configuring Iceweasel security policies.

On 17/06/11 04:45, peasthope@shaw.ca wrote:
> From:	Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com>
> Date:	Thu, 16 Jun 2011 19:52:12 +1000

<snipped to save electrons>

> In chromium-browser, about:config doesn't work.

Does it need to?

On my computer with Chrome open
Ctrl+O to open the file open dialog
choose /home/scott/Category2.html (has various links types in it)
file opens no problems
link to /home/scott/Category3.html opens no problems
additionally, and just to return the confusion ;-p
opens fish://machine_on_same_subnet
opens sftp://machine_on_same_subnet

On your webserver Chrome will open two http links on the second line of
Links, none of the links on the third line of links (expected behaviour)
However, if you still desire that functionality(?) try :-
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/jllpkdkcdjndhggodimiphkghogcpida

OR simply copy and paste the local link
eg. file://home/scott/Category2.html (note the double slash, not triple)

>> I generally test changes on a server in a virtualbox machine before
>> pushing them to the development server (belt and suspenders).
>
> OK, I understand that for testing.  Where do you edit the pages?

in situ (on the development machine, separate users and virtual hosts
for each site)

> Which editor?

For static html pages and css - nano, vi, emac, kwrite, kate, any and
all are good.
I generally use a CMS so there are no actual pages.
I don't use an IDE to manage sites though I use one to develop and test
elements of a site eg, php, javascript, css and complex pages.
I can recommend Komposer, until recently I used Quanta - but it's broken
in Squeeze, I've heard good things of Bluefish, and I'm currently
testing various solutions for HTML5.
Kimagemap is excellent, but slightly broken, for imagemapping.
Klinkchecker is invaluable (used to analyse the links on your site).
wget and curl are also invaluable.

>> For a static site such as yours I suggest you just tar.bzip ...
>
> That would be another procedure in my system of work.  Make it
> as simple as possible but not simpler.
>
>> A later dated archive always replaces an earlier dated archive. And a
>> changes text file can be used to keep track of versions.
>
> I have daily, weekly and monthly backups.  Even when the
> filesystem on the CF card failed, all data including current
> bookkeeping, was recovered in about an hour.  Versioning is not
> needed for my trivial Web sites.
>
>>> FTP is fast!
>>
>> Even faster when it's only moving a tar.bz2!
>
> I understand but in many cases I just update one file after an
> edit.  Updating the dozen or so files comprising a Web site is
> still only three mouse clicks in about 5 seconds.

I lack you, um, confident optimism. That approache leaves too many
states between the old and the new. I prefer:-
old site
old site plus new_site_archived.tar.bz2
site down to all visitors except my ip
delete old site
extract new site
site up

<snipped>

> Regards,              ... Peter E.

Consider that - if something works you'll use it, the longer it's
useful, the more you'll forget.... so overwriting leads to problems.

eg.
if you install knoppix
fail to update knoppix
install debian
update debian
no matter which release you're running it's Debian Cruft! ;-p
don't let your site become Easthope cruft ;-p

Cheers

--
I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it
comes out.