Re: Updating Packages in Debian Squeeze from Backports/Testing

On 2011-06-14 21:01 +0200, Noah Duffy wrote:

> I read the guide you posted, and it seems simple enough.  I understand
> it as this:
>
> Let's say I want to "backport" Banshee from Wheezy because it's
> version 2.0.1, I could add the source repository for wheezy to my
> sources, and build that package following the instructions that way.

Good luck, you might need it.  Banshee seems to be a rather complex
package.

> The only thing I didn't quite understand was changing the version
> number to version~bpo50+1.

Actually, for squeeze packports you should use version~bpo60+1, since
this is a backport for Debian 6.0, not for 5.0.

> They say this makes the version number
> less than the one you're building.  I don't understand how it makes it
> less, but either way, I'm assuming this is done for the exact reason I
> mentioned originally.

The tilde (~) is treated specially by dpkg when comparing versions, it
sorts before the empty string.

> If I installed a newer package and then
> upgraded to the next stable release, it's package will trump mine?

Exactly, and this is usually what you want.

Sven