Re: news/mail client and the text borders

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 04:28:18AM +0200, Davide Baldini wrote:
> What software do you use for mail/news?
> I see all your messages are proudly well formatted and perfectly fit in
> pages of 80 columns, while I have to push return each line. If i
> forget, lines gets splitted in my window but then when i send it out
> see the big mistake...
>
> is there any margins setting? I use icedove (thunderbird 3.0.11)

Seems like you have it figured out, which is good. However, there are a
few things about Thunderbird/Icedove defaults that I don't like, which I
recommend changing:

    * OpenPGP support is not built-in. Requires the Enigmail extension.
    * Hashcash support is practically non-existent. Requires extension.
    * Defaults to composing HTML by default. Plain text is king.
    * mail.check_all_imap_folders_for_new is set to "false".
    * Does not include your signature on forwards. Can be changed.

As a result, Mutt has become the default MUA for myself. OpenPGP support is
built-in, the flexibility of the MUA allows for adding Hashcash support,
uses your own external editor for composing mail, checks all IMAP folders
for new mail, and includes my signature on forwards.

Further, I can set whether I want to do format:fixed or format:flowed for
my mail composition and it's the most standards-complaint MUA I've used.
The only thing I wish that Mutt would do better, is the performance of
passing commands to the MUA. I shouldn't have to wait when pressing 'c',
for example, to change folders ("mailboxes"). The folders are cached
locally, so the command should be interpreted locally, rather than waiting
for a network connection.

Also, in Debian, Mutt is built against GNU TLS, which seems to have
problems with some SSL certificates. Recompiling against OpenSSL fixes
these issues for me.

--
. o .   o . o   . . o   o . .   . o .
. . o   . o o   o . o   . o o   . . o